Topic: is there a point??
Forum Index : General : General Talk : is there a point??  
dolphingurl94

Pixelated Dorkwad
Profile | Journal
Posted: 23 Feb 2010 02:05 PM         Subject: RE: is there a point??
okay, i think that yes the world could do better on giving the homeless and the poor more free food and shelter. so yes i d agree with that.
god made me beautiful, but i made the beauty show
sirloinofbeef

Forum Monster
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Feb 2010 11:27 AM         Subject: RE: is there a point??
A "crime" is defined by the set of laws, and decrees the alleged criminal lived under.
The crime depends on the law. What is a "crime" by legal standards is not always a crime by human standards. (ex: Nelson Mandela.)

And, it's not just the hungry that resort to "crime" to stay alive.. Without "crime" Women might not be able to vote today. Interracial couples would be legally punished. At one point, The Puritans outlawed Christmas, and doing anything Christmas-related was punishable by law!

We'd all be in prison right now if these 'crimes' (And numerous others) were never committed.
That sort of 'crime' most certainly has a point. Which is why no one can really say: Crime free is the way to be.

Many of the people who ARE incarcerated did something so minor,that they do not belong there at all. There are people strolling around who have done far worse. And are, in fact, rewarded for it.

As for other kinds of crime, they are a result of Nihilism, the emotions of others are not a concern to the person in question. Or, utilitarianism, the idea that moral decisions should be based on the rule of the greatest happiness for the largest number of people. Those who commit crimes can justify the act in their minds, by saying "I do this/I kill this, I help the world." They do not always go to prison. And,they do not fear prison due to apathy they feel when committing the crime. The point may very well be as simple to them as "What's the point of NOT committing a crime? Look at what's going on out there? What I do won't matter."

The world rarely treats you with respect, and it is mainly will-power when someone has a sunny point-of-view. Not everyone is strong enough to face the terror of life with a smile. That is unfortunate, but exceedingly human.
*shrug*
Today everything's a conflict of interest.
http://www.formspring.me/Ovarydose
Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: < 1