Topic: Smoking
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Smoking  
rudieinsilks

Forum Monster
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 03:18 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
I'm a former smoker...I started up sometime in high school and quit during my senior year. Then I started again after I started college, but quit in December. I really love the smell of cigarette smoke, but since I'm an athlete, I know I can never start again, and that really doesn't bother me at all. My fiance smokes, and I have no problem with it. He worries that it bothers me, but it really doesn't. I don't care either way. Honestly though I think he might be better off if he quit though, health-wise...
I'm Rudie, Bzoink's one and only jockey!

Quote Of The Now: "Time will wash away the wounds you feel today, and I will stay here with you and make sure you're okay."--800 Octane
Current City: Lexington, KY
Current Music: Placebo
Current Events: Opening day at Keeneland Race Course!
Currently Wanting: more tea!

ATTENTION: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE JOCKEY

mizzshears

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 03:22 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Aparantly there were lots of cigerette butts outside my house yesterday, my mum walked in and asked me if i'd been smoking, she did it so casually.

I can't believe that she would think that, I never have and never will so much as touch one, there's nothing worse then getting hooked on something then needing to stop. I'm unhealthy enough as it is haha
Nickname: Burdock

unexpected1-85

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 05:15 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
For those of you that quit, how'd you do it?
I've seen love die way too many times, when it deserved to be alive;
I've seen you cry way too many times, when you deserved to be alive
a l i v e.
shiny-italy

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 06:00 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
I think smoking is disgusting and would never do it. Too many health risks, the smell lingers, etc..
I'm Heather. I'm 27 years old and I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I love glaciers!
daniellexx5xx

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 06:07 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Personally, I've grown up around smoking so the smell doesn't bother me. But I don't see myself ever actually smoking though. It's pretty gross. I have nothing against anyone who smokes though. It's up to every person to make their own personal choices. However, seeing as how high the price of cigarettes has gotten, I see smoking as a way of buying your own death.
mizzshears

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 06:57 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Grrr and now my best friend doesn't believe that I don't smoke.

Really I don't..

Oh well lol, I don't really care what people believe or not, I know that i'm not that's all that really matters in teh endddd.

-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 07:14 AM         Subject: RE: Smoking
For those of you that quit, how'd you do it?

I think quitting is easiest when you do it for a reason that will keep you motivated. I quit for my voice, and after only a couple of months, I felt / heard vast improvements over what I used to sound like. For myself, I had to have something to get me through the mood swings / blue days that came with quitting cold turkey; the prospect of the reward was greater than the relief that I would get from the cigarette.

Another thing that I did ( that probably won't work for anyone else ... since I know the logic is awful: ) was kept my old pack around - JUST IN CASE - that way I didn't feel like I had to go buy some, etc; I felt secure in the fact that - if I did happen to " need " one - they were there, within reach. Something about that allowed me to keep saying that I didn't need one, or I'd convince myself to wait longer, because they weren't going anywhere. Eventually, hours turned into days, turned into weeks ...

I did eat a lot more, though. Out of boredom and a need for distraction.
Basically, distraction is a key part; if you're spending too much time thinking about smoking, you're going to get down, and you're going to get horrible, overwhelming cravings. If you keep busy, they're not so bad.

Lastly, if ya' mess up, don't beat yourself up. I think this is where a lot of people falter. It's not easy to quit, and even going a few hours longer without a cigarette than usual is an achievement. Reward yourself for your accomplishments, rather than put yourself down for slip-ups. When you slip-up, just remind yourself of why you started, and why you're trying to quit.
[ it's an " e g o thing. " ]
mizzshears

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 09:02 AM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Oh i'd make myself a little coupon book, like a day out to the pictures if I succeeded in going without one for a couple of hours
or a meal out for going without for a day
etc..
and trade them when I wanted to do something

haha that's just me.. :p

then like after a year of not smoking, go on holiday or something with the money that id saved.

Ooooh yehhh, put your money in a money box when you would buy a pack..then that could fund your coupons.

haha

why am I making all this up?
I think I got a little carried away :p

lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 10:03 AM         Subject: RE: Smoking
That actually sounds like a good idea, Burdock. Saving the money that you would be spending on cigarettes for something a little more worthwhile? That's an amazing idea. If I smoked, I would definitely use that.
These walls are strange...

My name is Wendy.
-smile-

Forum Monster
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 10:22 AM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Honestly, I have nothing against people who smoke...I just don't like it when they smoke near me, not that I have breathing problems or anything...but I just don't like the smoke...

Generally, I don't hang around smokers, when they are smoking of course. The smell bothers me and disgusts me too...

Like many people said earlier, if you're thinking about smoking, think wisely. Not only is money the problem, but you have to think of your health as well. It's true that many other things cause health issues but why add another risk of smoking when you have a choice of never starting? I, for one, would never smoke, or even think about starting...

Just so you guys know, second-hand smoking is as unhealthy as smoking. Second-hand smoking is when you are around a person who is smoking and inhale the smoke. You are inhaling the same smoke the smoker is inhaling so therefore, the damage is the same.

Also, like Ego had said, drinking Alcohol is equally disgusting, actually maybe even more disgusting than smoking. Getting drunk, doing crazy things....you're like practically unconscious, and you don't know what you're doing...blah...

If there are any people out there who are thinking about smoking, I'd advise you not to do it...once you start, it's very hard to stop. Or, at least think things through...

Smile and the world smiles with you
Keep Smiling...

Because You Never Know Who Might Be Falling In Love With Your... Smile
It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever...
roxy-ryan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 10:43 AM         Subject: RE: Smoking
I've never smoked before and I don't plan to. A lot of my friends smoke it doesn't bother me.

Roxy Ryan
Obsessed with AMC's The Walking Dead, Disney and Tumblr.

Wanna keep a hold of my heart
I'm falling into this again
Falling in and out of love.
unexpected1-85

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 23 Apr 2009 05:18 PM         Subject: RE: Smoking
Thanks for all of the ideas! Lol, when I started reading about the coupon book, I'm like "And where am I going to get the extra money to do all these things?" And then it hit me...I'm such a blonde sometimes. That actually is a really good idea, though.

I really want to just go cold turkey. I really believe that I can do it. And I really think having the pack around 'just in case' is a good idea. I bet I'll end up having one at some point, but I know I want to do this.
I've seen love die way too many times, when it deserved to be alive;
I've seen you cry way too many times, when you deserved to be alive
a l i v e.
Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: < 1