Topic: What is Emo?
Forum Index : General : General Talk : What is Emo?  
jessa

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 04:44 PM       Subject: What is Emo?
Okay, I know what emo is. I mean, I've read books about it and everything. But something has changed since I've left high school (2004, I know, I'm old) and I just don't get what you kids call emo anymore. So, please, I can has explanations?
I'm the tallest one here.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 04:52 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
I think I am as unsure of it's current definition as you are. I've been called emo because of some my clothing choices, but I certainly don't fit what I assumed to be the "criteria." I mean, I own all of two band shirts. I'm not depressed. Sometimes I've got the hair-fringe goin' on, but that's only because I've neglected to cut it since I chopped it down to about an inch/inch and a half about a year ago. The bangs fall where the bangs fall; end of the story. The majority of the bands I like are alternative/alternative rock. I like a very limited amount of what's actually considered to be a part of the emo genre. Really, I just don't know what makes an emo, an emo anymore. I'd like to be enlightened as well.
[ it's an " e g o thing. " ]
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 06:08 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
I don't even know and I'm 15-years-old. I personally believe that emo is emotional, but anymore it's skinny jeans, a fringe, and a pair of vans. It's really just turned into a trend. I've found that most of the "emo" people are people who claim to be emo.

I'm going to quote a guy named Frank Iero, "Any kind of art or music should be emotional. If its not, than it's pretty much just a jingle selling bleach or pizza."

Too bad that isn't how it is anymore.
These walls are strange...

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:33 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
"Any kind of art or music should be emotional. If its not, than it's pretty much just a jingle selling bleach or pizza."

Haha! I am in full agreement with that statement.

If emo = emotional, then... we're all a bunch of emo kids (and adults), unless someone lacks the capacity to experience feelings, that is.

Yay. We all belong! x3

lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 08:42 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
YAY! I'm emo.

Like right now, I'm feeling happy, because my writer's block is leaving me alone. I'm also feeling annoyed because credit people keep calling.

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:02 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Hurrah for the banishment of writer's block! I'm stuck in a nasty spell of it myself. Erk.

Boo for credit people, though!

Do members of the emo subculture still exist in high numbers? I was starting to think that this trend/group/whatever was dying out. It seems like I see less and less of them, but that might have more to do with being on a college campus, rather than a high school one. I also don't see very many goths either, now that I think about it.
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:05 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Indeed. I went through a terrible bout of it not long ago.

Oh no, if anything, they're multiplying, and the goth trend is sort of becoming the emo trend, if I'm not mistaken.

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:16 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
I need to get out more, then. Lol. If the numbers seem to be dwindling when they are actually multiplying, it means I must not be visiting the mall enough. (Probably because the darn DDR machine in the arcade has been broken for almost a year...and was only recently - and poorly - fixed.)

Emo entered the city I live in quite quickly - almost overnight, it seemed. One day, there was no such thing as an emo kid. The next day, it was impossible to go anywhere without seeing one.

What I disliked about some was that they were unbelievably rude. For whatever reason, some felt (or at least acted) superior to anyone that wasn't "one of them."

Scene kids also bothered me with their attitudes. Not all, of course, but definitely most. They were really annoying at local shows - prone to talking badly about people they didn't even know, just for the sake of garnering attention, I would imagine.

Oi, I feel catty tonight.
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Nov 2008 09:22 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Ah, DDR. I fail at that game.

Scene kids. I'll take an "emo" kid over a "scene" kid any day. I go to a lot of shows and gigs and they're always extremely rude to everyone except for their friends or other "scene" kids. I'm a pretty normal person. I dress in t-shirts and jeans and wear my hair however the heck it lays. Why should I spend an hour and a half prettying myself up for people I don't even know or people who I know love me for who I am? I mean, really, half of the "scene" kids spend hours on their hair, for what? Fake friends who are only seen with them to look cool.

I am being rather judgmental. Not all scene kids are like that, but that's just most of them.

Then there are the hardcore dudes. I went to a My Chemical Romance show a few months back and there were a bunch of dudes with bandannas in their back pockets picking fights with people just too look hardcore or whatever.

Have you heard of/seen hardcore dancing?

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 05:49 AM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
I, too, would prefer someone that was emo over someone that was scene. I've met only a couple truly down to earth scene kids... though, as nice as those rare few were, it didn't do much to change my opinion on the stereotype in general. They also seem to make up the majority of those that are on Myspace for no reason other than to collect friends. They consider themselves famous? Wtf. And claim that they are "kind of a big deal"? Uhh. No.

I'm being fairly judgemental myself, although I think we all know that we're referring more to the people that fit directly into the stereotype, rather than those that break the mold and don't act like jerks. Like with any group, there are good and bad sides. We just get to pick apart the bad side. xD

Oh, yes, I have seen hardcore dancing - my brother was into that stuff. I find it hilarious. I'd never hardcore dance, unless it was for a joke. They look silly. Hehe.
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 12:42 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Honestly...There are some bands that just add those scene kids too make themselves look popular (Haha, the keyboardist of my band did that for ours. It kinda made me angry.)

Yes, not all emo and scene kids are like that, but in general they're jerks.

Gosh, can that even be considered dancing? I just call it the flailing of limbs and people looking like idiots.

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 01:51 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Wow, really?! Ahah, that's funny, in a sort of sneaky way. xD If I was requested by a band on Myspace who's friend-list consisted mostly of scene kids, I doubt I'd even take the time to listen to the music. I'd just assume that it wasn't going to be a genre I enjoyed.

You're right - I don't think hardcore "dancing" should be considered dancing at all. When I think of dancing, I picture something that would take talent/actual work. Not something that makes one look like an utter fool, or a two year old throwing a tantrum.
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 02:27 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Haha, well, she just put a bunch of bands in our top friends and sort of hid the scene kids...I wanted to go through and delete them, but I nearly got my head chopped off. Perhaps someday...

Exactly. I'd like to see a hardcore "dancer" last a minute in a ballet school or something.

My name is Wendy.
jasonsbabygurl94

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 04:10 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
People think emo is a style of clothes or a way of life. its more of a state of mind and its a music genre.not a clique.sure ive been called emo at before i new what emo was i called myself emoso thats what emo really is.state of mind and music.
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Nov 2008 04:26 PM         Subject: RE: What is Emo?
Exactly, jasonsbabygurl. I really hate that it's called a stereotype now.

My name is Wendy.
Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: 1 2 Next>>