Topic: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)  
karoras-spirit

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Oct 2006 02:34 PM       Subject: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
Just curious - is anyone else here a blood donor?

(As a donor myself, the daughter of a platelet donor, and someone who's worked in a blood bank processing donations, this is obviously something very close to my heart. I'm somewhat fanatical about it, which is why I asked. ;) )

And if not - why not? Too young? Anaemic? Underweight? If it's the last one, then I hate you. Very, very much. XD

Warning - rant ahead. Might wanna skip the next section and just hit the 'Reply' button. =D Although it's got a lot of facts and statistics in there, if you're into that kinda thing.

Y'know what? Only 6% of the eligible UK population are blood donors (I don't have the US figures, sorry). That means 94% of the country are willing to stand there and let someone die because they just plain can't be bothered to do anything about it. So, question. If you don't give blood, what makes you think you have any right to receive it if you're in an accident? If you suffer horrendous burns in a fire? If your unborn baby needs transfusions in the womb to stay alive? If you can't be bothered to save someone's life, why should anyone save yours? Answer me that.

People who refuse to give blood despite having no medical reason not to generally make my blood boil..."don't have time"? WTF? It takes 30 minutes, dudes. You fill in a form, they prick your finger, you lie on your back and stare at the ceiling for 15 minutes, drink a glass of juice, eat a cookie and leave. Easy as. Seriously. If you've got time to watch TV, you've got time to save someone's life, k? If you've got time to go into town and buy a new pair of shoes, you've got time to give blood. "Don't have time" just isn't a valid excuse.

(And you can't even see the needle go in, so I'm incredibly hard-hearted about the "Oh, I'm too scared" ones as well...Maybe I need a sympathy transfusion. Who knows?)

A friend of mine told me the other day she didn't give blood because "they don't need any more". I think I screamed at her for about 15 minutes. I thnk I saw somewhere that they use 34,000 units of blood every day (and I'm fairly sure that's just in the US - - the UK figure is about 9,000).

And if you're O+ or A+, you might think you don't need to give blood because they're the most common blood types. That means there are plenty of other people donating those groups, so you don't need to, right? Wrong. Sure, there are more donating - but because the groups are so common, that means there are so many more people who need to RECEIVE that blood type. And if you're a group O, your blood is especially useful - it's used in emergencies because it can be transfused to ANYBODY, from any blood group, if they can't find enough matched blood quickly enough.

Rant and infodump over.

So, yeah. I'm just a bit wound up that so many people are willing to sit there and let other people die without doing a thing about it. I mean, if a stranger collapsed in the street, would you ignore him and walk on by? Let him die? No? Then why won't you give blood?

I think that's my little venting session over. Sorry it's so long. /swt (Incidentally, if anyone has any questions - I'm quite a good person to ask!) =)
andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Oct 2006 10:22 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
Too long and don't care enough to read but I don't donate and never will.. MWAHAHAH. MY BLOOD AHOLE!

:shock:
I am the very fancy owner and creator of Bzoink! Thank you for using it.
Feel free to private message me and add me as your friend.

Message Me | Journal | Profile | Add Me
xhan

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 07:19 AM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
well... I erm... skimmed.

I want to and I will. BUT. Every time the red cross blood van comes to town I'm either working or away. Which sucks. Cause I really want to do it. SO... yeah.

Aaaaand uhm... ANDY! SURRENDER THY BLOOD! n_n; just kidding.
karoras-spirit

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 12:59 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
Xhannay - good for you. =D

Andy - Hmmm. I can't think of a polite response, so I'll just express my dissatisfaction and refrain from making any other petty, spiteful comments. 'Cause I'm righteous like that. =P

(Randomly - playing with blood bags is really fun. They're all squishy. Oooooooh.)
fuzzynerds

Pixelated Dorkwad
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 05:44 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
yeee. I skimmed as well. lol. I really want to give blood, but as of now I have not had the opportunity. X_X You can do it when you're 17, right? You just have to have permission from parents or something?
Still a lurker. But I love you.
this-lonely-plac
e

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 23 Nov 2006 04:50 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
I want to donate blood but I don't really know where to go... yes I am sort of naive like that. Plus hospitals scare the hell out of me... but I would donate my blood to save someone.
I love dolls!
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 23 Nov 2006 07:46 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
this-lonely-place: Up here, there's a place called the Blood Bank of Alaska. You might check the phone book for any local Blood Banks. Red Cross would probably have information, too. You might try http://www.givelife.org/, http://www.aabb.org/, or http://www.redcross.org/ .

Karora: You know I'd totally give blood, right? But I'm too young, AND underweight. I think the limit is like 120. I don't even know, but I'm like -108-.

Ahh, here we go.

" Minors may donate at 16 or 17 years old with a Blood Bank of Alaska Parental Consent Form signed by a parent or guardian. " Well, I've got that.

"# Weigh at least 110 pounds
# Be in good health
# Eat normally prior to donation"

Yeah, so I can't give blood. Yet. Good incentive to work out-- muscle weighs more than fat so I can put on weight and give blood! Thereotically. They might just look at me and go, "...NO. WOMAN, GO EAT SOME FAT FRIED CHICKEN." >>;

..peoplehavedoneitbefore.
remember when?
meritsekhmet

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 18 Dec 2006 01:49 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
I really want to donate blood but I'll just pass out if they do the needle in...I'm terribly scared of needles... I'm a real pansy when it comes to it...
Someday I will! My parents are both regular donators, and I know how important it is. My dad's a doctor, and when he has to scratch people off the roads he heck knows what to use the blood for.
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 18 Dec 2006 02:30 PM         Subject: RE: Could you be bothered to save a life? (REALLY long.)
I don't mind needles. I don't like them, certainly, but they don't bother me.

EXCEPT WHEN PEOPLE JAB THEM IN OW.
remember when?
Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: 1