Topic: Roleplaying: Discuss!
Forum Index : Creative Outlet : Roleplaying : Roleplaying: Discuss!  
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Jan 2009 09:41 AM       Subject: Roleplaying: Discuss!
I'm not so much looking to start one, I'm just looking to discuss it out of curiosity and see how you guys are in relation to the people I know. (Xhan, you don't count, stop typing right now. XP)

So, what is roleplaying to you? What's your favorite type of roleplaying? What do you look for in a roleplayer? What's a "good" roleplayer, to you? Do you use your own characters, or pre-existing characters (for, example, Bella Swan, or Harry Potter)? Do you ever heard your characters talk to you? Do you write outside of roleplaying? Do you prefer one on one, or group roleplays? What's your favorite medium for roleplaying?

INQUIRING KERISU'S WANT TO KNOW.
remember when?
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Jan 2009 10:30 AM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
So, what is roleplaying to you?
- Taking on the "role" of an original or pre-existing character for the purpose of interacting with other "role"-players in some ... certain roleplay format, whatever it happens to be.

What's your favorite type of roleplaying?
- Generally, I prefer to roleplay in paragraph-form, over an online profile such as myspace or livejournal - although I have not used livejournal in quite some time.

What do you look for in a roleplayer? What's a "good" roleplayer, to you?
- I look for someone with creative and original ideas, someone who can come up with interesting scenarios, and one who can exercise at least somewhat proper grammar - I'm no grammar nazi, but I like to be able to decipher what I'm reading. Also, I search for people playing characters that I am drawn to, or have liked already in an anime / manga / etc. I think a the definition of a "good" roleplayer's probably pretty varied ... To be good at roleplay, I do think that one must be first good at writing, as it is - essentially - all writing. Aside from that, it'd be more up to one's personal preference.

Do you use your own characters, or pre-existing characters (for, example, Bella Swan, or Harry Potter)?
- I've used both. For the longest stretch of time, I was involved in a Yu Yu Hakusho roleplay, so I was using someone else's creation. Usually, I am more in favor of original characters, though.

Do you write outside of roleplaying?
- Yes, definitely.

Do you prefer one on one, or group roleplays?
- One-on-one, generally. Group roleplays can become too confusing, and rely too heavily on everyone being present and active.

What's your favorite medium for roleplaying?
- Internet - through either myspace or lj.
[ it's an " e g o thing. " ]
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Jan 2009 10:38 AM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
...man, I think I might love you and I barely even know you, just for the fact that you're actually replying to my topics with these long thought out posts and dfgsldjkhgsfg it makes me happy in the brainpan, okay. ;o; Extra bonus points for using LJ as a medium for roleplaying. And preferring one on one roleplays, omg. I love you. ;-;

I have the same problem with group roleplays, particularly on forums. Since there's usually only one main plot thread, people who aren't on get skipped over in favor of those who are, and then you're left behind trying to figure out what just happened while everyone else is roleplaying a scene an in-game week later. =[ LJ isn't as bad because you can do threads and different posts and backdate things, which is niiiice. My main RP is so mean to the poor timeline. "Let's make this post before this one but after that one. AWESOME."

Aha, I am like the opposite of you, though. I find original characters to be annoying a lot of the time so I am heavily weighted towards canon, because it's HARD to find good original characters, you know? They have to be not too powerful, but they still need to be interesting... So I tend to get nervous when people try to pick up OCs at my game unless I know them beforehand. Knowing them beforehand makes aaaall the difference!

I think my biggest pet peeve is people who think paragraph length is in any way synonymous with "good roleplaying". If there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say, darnit, I am not going to go on for six paragraphs describing the exact color of Kurama's hair because asg;klfg;sg THAT IS BORING AND I WOULD RATHER PROGRESS BACK TO GAY ROSE FIGHTING.
remember when?
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 26 Jan 2009 11:25 AM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
"... I am not going to go on for six paragraphs describing the exact color of Kurama's hair ... "

Buaha. Ha. Ha. Ha. I know what you mean, and I totally agree. There's good description, and then there's ... well, going overboard. Although, I think some Kurama-obsessed fangirlie ( or boy ) might like the extra attention paid to conveying EXACTLY what their oh-so-favorite character's hair looks like.

Like you said, sometimes there's just nothing to be said. In that case, I usually TRY to include something in my next reply that will produce fodder for lengthier posts in the future. I don't like it when RP dwindles down to ONLY one/two-liners.

And on the subject of original characters: I can see where you wouldn't really care for them. There are a lot that are just far too over the top and you cannot take them seriously. When I produce an original, I try to make them as human and realistic as possible, since ... no one likes godly characters with no weaknesses or vunerablities to speak of, who are ultra-perfect and always, always, always ( don't forget always ) win ... but that's really only an issue where fighting is involved. I like to stick with subtle things that set my original apart - idosyncrasies, a certain life-style, an intriguing past, etc. No perfection, no beauty beyond beauty, no amazing powers, no super-guy-getting or super-girl-getting level of attractiveness, etc. I'm also seriously tired of seeing SO many gay males ... played by female roleplayers. I don't have a problem with it on an individual level - so I have nothing against females rping gay males - it's just when I've got 17 female rp friends ( number pulled out of my arse ), and all of them have gay chars ... eeeeyeah, problem!

Unless ... there's gay rose fighting. :O
dark-proctor

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Jan 2009 01:05 PM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
well.....honestly, I haven't got a clue about role playing.....about 6 or 7 of of my online friends have a good story going online, we have problems when one of the other people doesn't come online.....hence we all get delayed.....and I don't use original characters.....but ill pull things from different fantasy video games and books.....but yeah...
"To have fallen so far, and learned nothing; That is your failure." "No! The failure is yours; No longer do your whispers crawl beneath my skull; No longer do I suffer teachings that weaken us!"
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 27 Jan 2009 05:35 PM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
@Ego-- I had a friend who roleplayed Kurama, actually, and instead it was one of *my* characters who fixated on his hair. (It was long and pretty, okay, she wanted to play with it. She wanted to play with it a lot.)

Sometimes I find it helpful to ramble on about what the character is thinking or the background for their decisions or something. That's a good post filler that can make one line of action take up two paragraphs without seeming too terribly tedious or pastede on yey.

My main OC was/is an absolutely average teenage girl from America. It cracked me up. She was sixteen, had dyed her hair blue, was trilingual because of her family and best friend! Her family was well-off, she was reasonably popular, and then she got dumped on her butt into an empty City we used as a roleplaying setting. Through an interesting series of events she wound up becoming a Goddess for a thousand years, getting kicked back to Earth, forgetting everything, winding up BACK in the City five real-time years later, and then decided she didn't want to be a Goddess anymore anyway except for the pesky fact that the dimensions were all dying...

Yeah, she's fun. |D

Also, man, I am guilty of that last bit. >> Let's see, I am currently actively roleplaying... Fai, Light, Gabe, Sai, Kairi, Kyouya, Kio and Neku. Canonically, Kio swings both ways, so that's not a factor... Sai has no real gender affiliation in canon, and he shapeshifts, so again, not so much a factor. (He probably switches gender mid-intercourse just to screw with people.) Fai has a heterosexual life partner in *canon*, so even if he isn't gay for Kurogane, he's probably not interested in anyone else! Kairi is mostly straight most of the time, Gabe is mostly straight most of the time, Light is a genderswitch AU so she's female, and she's only straight for L. Kyouya I play as pretty much bisexual. Neku is Neku and will eventually get tired of Josh (who canonically flirts) harrassing him and give in.

...so I tend to be "girl who has lots of bisexual characters that swing different ways depending on the person and situation" than I do "girl with gay males".

Most of my friends are the same way xD We have the tendency to not look at gender so much as "are they smooshable? :o"

@Dark-- Yeah, that's always a problem. D: That's why I like having side-games with just two or three people, so even when everyone isn't online you have a way to roleplay.

What non-original characters do you roleplay, then? :D I always get excited to find people who roleplay canon, because on the other forum I'm on, people seem to think it's, like, the plague.
remember when?
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 28 Jan 2009 06:47 AM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
You know, as I was thinking, I came to a conclusion: I have a feeling that everyone knows someone - whether online or in real life - that roleplays as Kurama. While YYH RPing, I had at least three Kurama "friends," and one RL friend that was OB-to-the-SESSED with him - who roleplayed infrequently, since she was the type to get furious over anything that wasn't perfectly in character. She also had plushies, and posters, and, and, and --- everything Kurama related. *sweatdrop* She knew that anime like the back of her hand --- and I thought I had character obsession problems ...

[ I do. I do. I do, though: Kiyoshi Mitarai, especially --- for reasons that I have failed to put my finger on for almost 4 years now. I don't know if it's just that his pathetic whininess reminds me of myself from years ago, or if I'm just addicted to angst. And I have a wee bit of a ---- okay, a hardcore luff for Agatsuma Soubi from Loveless, and a mini-crush ( this one actually IS small ) on Akito Sohma from Fruits Basket. Back when I was into Yu Gi Oh, I couldn't get over Ryou Bakura / Yami Bakura. >>;; The only ones out of these that I have RPed as, is Mitarai. When I started up on Myspace, I WOULD have played Bakura ... but I would have been about the millionth and first Kura account. No good. ]

My main original character is nothing more than a young, aspiring musician from Sweden, who now resides in a very stereotypical, bachelor-type apartment in the US --- where he comes up with his oh-so-deep ( and sometimes purposely cliche ) lyrics / songs. He's a bit up himself due to his "talents," and he's that artsy, cynical, I-must-out-philosophisizesizesize-you kind of dude --- the type that's quick to get on everyone's nerves, specifically the types that are turned off by arrogance and by anyone self-absorbed. He's fun, though --- since I get to be snarky and full of myself when I play him. :] His orientation has taken a beating, though, and has changed over the years. Initially, he was straight. His first partner was a girl that I was friends with in RL, but eventually she ceased RPing, and he moved on ... to a male partner. He's had several flings and sexual encounters that were fleeting, and those have fallen on many spots on the orientation spectrum.

I don't think even HE knows what gender he wants anymore. :O

I concur - gender is not so much an issue as their overall appearance and also --- personality. Original character personalities are very important to me; I judge based on that more than on their visual qualities, since --- if I am going to RP with an OC --- they better have something behind that look to keep me engaged. x] Still: Shmexing adorable, luffable characters is enjoyable ... like eating sugar-coma-inducing treats. **Is currently munching on a bag of Starburst jellybeans. OMG.**

Another reason that I like OCs: EDITS! YAY! Photoshop, or any editing program, really, is my best buddy. And since I've recently learned how to do animations, that renews the appeal ... I might just make an entirely new character for the sole purpose of editing his / her pictures specifically the way that I desire them to be. I could get lost for hours in that kind of mindless activity. O__o;;;
xhan

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 28 Jan 2009 09:02 AM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
Heeeeeeey. DD:

[sits and flails at screen instead of replying]
your-nightmare

Forum Monster
Profile | Journal
Posted: 28 Jan 2009 02:14 PM         Subject: RE: Roleplaying: Discuss!
So, what is roleplaying to you?

entering the role of another person, deity, being, animal...so on so forth.

What's your favorite type of roleplaying?
Vampire, Lord Of The Rings, and D&D

What do you look for in a roleplayer?
Somebody who keeps the story alive, and doesn't drop off in the middle of it..

What's a "good" roleplayer, to you?
See above.

Do you use your own characters, or pre-existing characters (for, example, Bella Swan, or Harry Potter)?
I prefer to develop my own characters. Its more fun that way.

Do you ever heard your characters talk to you?
When im really into it, i am the character..I live, breath, act, and even talk like the character. But i can switch it on and off pretty well.

Do you write outside of roleplaying?
Yes.

Do you prefer one on one, or group roleplays?
Both, depends on what mood im in.

What's your favorite medium for roleplaying?
im not sure, i have one..hmm

The name is Randi
I work at Mc'ds...never eat their fries...i know how they make them...XD
Forum Index : Creative Outlet : Roleplaying

Page: 1