Topic: Debate #1
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Debate #1  
sliced-bread-no2

Pixelated Dorkwad
Profile | Journal
Posted: 04 Feb 2007 07:34 AM       Subject: Debate #1
In a different topic, there was a lot of talk about doing a debate. so im here to start. i'll do different debates when:

a. a debate has been solved
b. i can be bothered

so lets start. just let me think of one.....alright.

Debate #1: Are Parents to blame for Kids Violent Behaviour in the streets?
"If the Rock hits you, it will kill you, if he misses, the wind created by his miss will give you Pneumonia and you will die anyway"- The Rock

kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 04 Feb 2007 02:13 PM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
Teams, or just free rabid debate?
remember when?
skiesfirepaved

Pixelated Dorkwad
Profile | Journal
Posted: 04 Feb 2007 04:51 PM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
...Rabid debate, whoot! *foams*
And personally, I blame the entire world's problems on Marilyn Manson.
My name is Sari.
I am 22-years-old.
I live in England.
I love horses, Unicorns, music, writing and photography.
I own 2 horses, 2 cats, 1 hamster and 3 rats.
xhan

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 04 Feb 2007 10:12 PM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
Yes. I think the parents are responsible. From the day the child is born until they are old enough to live their own lives, the parent is responsible for the child. It is their role as a parent to make sure the kid knows right from wrong, morales, rules and punishment. If the kid is out there on the streets causing chaos, it is up the parent to DO something about it.

Control the child, but to a degree. They do have brains and are more than capable of thinking for themselves. Guide them though. Let them learn from their mistakes. Don't let the child control you. Protect them.

And stuff.

*nod*
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Feb 2007 07:09 PM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
As a child, I disagree. There's a certain amount of nature in any kid. I've only grown up once-- and I'm not done with it, I admit-- but from my experiences... My grandparents raised me, and that was great. They taught me. Then my parents divorced, and I had to grow up fast-- and mom never sheltered me, never protected me. She wanted to, I think, and it might just be the sort of person I am, but I was too inquisitive, too curious, to be really protected. If she'd tried to shelter me, I imagine I would have rebelled in the worst way possible (and oh, did I have the connections to do so!), or I would have just given up entirely. I have no interest in much of the things most teens do, including violence, because... I grew up fast, and I observed, and I thought. I wasn't sheltered, I see no reason to go out and experience all this. I don't need to be cool like that.

At the same time, I know kids who were terribly sheltered, and they're smart (if a bit naive) and have no interest in violent behaviour, either. I think it's very much nature versus nuture-- if I had been raised in another environment, how differently would I have turned out? I imagine quite different, but I'm not sure my base personality would be changed. I'd still be slightly schizophrenic, creative, intelligent, and... well, me. I might be a brat, or a bible thumper, or a druggie, but I'd still be me. Except not.

I think it's all very variable, and if you're doing the best you can to raise the kid-- that's all you can do. You can't be blamed for everything.
remember when?
xhan

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Feb 2007 12:53 AM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
In regards to your statement Keri I'd like to say that the individual at hand must be taken into account. Knowing you as well as I do I know that you've got your head screwed on properly and are not foolish enough to 'try to be cool' by going out and causing trouble. There are however, a lot of youths out there who are not as intelligent as you. I've seen first hand people who were once friends fall into a bad crowd and are to this day involved heavily in the drug scene and are frequently appearing in court for mindless bashings.

I have two brothers, both of whom I love dearly, and both of whom have been the target of a gang bashing brought on by teenage gangs. The first incident, involving my eldest brother, occured when a gang appeared at a local party demanding to know the location of another person, with the intention of causing him harm. When the gang were told that the person they were after was not there, they found a guy who looked similar to him and proceeded to beat him. My brother, a friend of the innocent guy being beaten came to his defence and in doing so was brought into the fight. The second incident, involving the younger of my two brothers was a simple case of a group approaching him and asking for a lighter. When he was told that no one had one, the gang then turned violent and a fight occured.

In both of these cases the gang members were aged from 13-20. My brothers were 17 and 15 at the times of attack. Living in a small town where everyone knows everyone, I can assure you that these thugs were brought up in homes where the parents were never there to support them, were drunk or stoned, were violent or simply never cared. It makes me sick to say that there are people within this town who have children simply for the government payments. These parents do not work. These parents do not care. And yet they seem to think the world owes them.

And this attitude refects on the child.
kerianawilliams

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 06 Feb 2007 02:02 AM         Subject: RE: Debate #1
See, this is why I'm very much on the fence-- inattentive parents are a problem, yes, but some children do thrive in that environment. Following the same rule, some don't, and even the best parents may produce the next bin Laden. Generally, parents can be held accountable, but not always. Why else would reports of normal, middle-class American's producing children who mutilate cats for fun be so shocking to most people?

Incidentally, I think that the "middle America" syndrome is responsible for a lot of crap. The lower you are on the chain of wealth, the more you see. You then either get violent, or try to rise above it and get what you were never able to have. Middle-class and rich people seem to be particularly nonchalant and just not care, as they don't work nearly as hard to get what they have, and they're used to it. So they get stupid, or violent, or just disinterested, and then go looking for something to get interested in.

Also: the TV/internets are not your babysitter, but taking them away entirely won't help either. WTF, Earth, moderation is key.

...my viewpoints on things make no damn sense.
remember when?
Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: 1