Topic: Bad Weather
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Bad Weather  
mizzshears

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 11 Apr 2009 03:55 PM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Ahh, I'm glad you and your house is fine though, i've never seen anything like that in real life and i'm glad! When I was younger I used to be really scared of tornado's or hurricanes for some reason, I mean we just don't have them at all lol...well I think there was a small one somewhere not too far away but that's the only thing I know of.

We once had an earthquake, but I was on holiday in New York so I missed it, my mum said it was best I had missed it because I would have been too scared lol.
Nickname: Burdock

unexpected1-85

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 11 Apr 2009 04:52 PM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Yeah, it is tornado season. Tornadoes can be really scary, and they often rip through Midwestern states the most, I believe. We get tornado watches/warnings a lot during the spring, and a lot of storms here are accompanied with damaging winds and/or hail. I think it's the scariest when you not only get the warnings on TV, but then the sirens in town start going off, too. And you really want to just stay out and watch things as they're going on (well, I do anyways), but you know you need to keep yourself safe. It's a weird feeling. I'm sure people who have to worry about hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, etc. feel the same way.

I have seen funnel clouds a few times before, and one time I did see a tornado. It was a rather small one though, and it didn't do a lot of damage...it was a few blocks away. :shock:

Tornadoes can cause disasters throughout entire states or regions, if they have enough force. I am glad to hear you are okay!!!
I've seen love die way too many times, when it deserved to be alive;
I've seen you cry way too many times, when you deserved to be alive
a l i v e.
kayla-rhs2012

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 11 Apr 2009 09:14 PM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Thank you all.

I also have no basement. We all squish into our very small bathroom. Haa. Not exactly comfortable, but more comfortable than inside a tornado.
"Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason." - Richard C. Trench
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 12 Apr 2009 09:38 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
A couple summers ago, every other day there was a tornado warning...Even on days where the sky was completely clear. Us Franklin Countyians were incredibly confused. It was turning into this "Boy who cried wolf" situation. Crazy.
These walls are strange...

My name is Wendy.
friendly-fire

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 12 Apr 2009 10:06 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
A year or two ago we had a tornado watch and my mom had went to get my nephews from school before the storm and it was my sister, brother and I alone. Thank the Buddha we have a basement but it was terrifying, the hail started up and it was extremely loud and my sister and I had never heard a tornado before (my brother was like 3 at the time so he didn't know what was going on) so we thought the hail was a tornado. We stupidly sat under the window not thinking and put the mattress over our heads. The power had gone out just before the hail started up so it was pitch black in the basement and we had no clue where my mom and nephews were. Turns out they had just pulled in the driveway when the hail had started and they couldn't get out of the car.

And when I was eight a tornado was up in the air over our house and my dad went outside and actually saw it rip down our shed. :shock:

Those are my tornado stories, now when I hear the sirens I'm down in the basement before you can say tornado.
Hi, I'm Ashley-
http://twitter.com/_ashleyrose__
http://www.formspring.me/norwegianwood9
http://norwegianwood9.tumblr.com/

xxtinklovesuxx

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 02:21 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Yeah tornadoes can be pretty scary. I kind of luck out because even though I live in tornado alley my town is right between two lakes so we haven't seen on in 35 years. I seen a lot of them in Texas though. And I went through Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi. I've seen about every kind of natural disaster that the states get so I'm used it. It is still scary though.
Kirk K & Sasha J
The beginning; 1/1/17

Baby K. coming Spring 2018 (:

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy-tale.

R.I.P Baby Brother
Timothy Gibson
12/18/1991 - 10/26/2016
shiny-italy

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 02:40 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
That may be exactly one of the reasons the town I lived at in Texas (Flower Mound) hardly ever got hit by tornadoes..it's right between two lakes. I have to admit I was rather disappointed when I saw the worst of the weather pass my our town haha (even though I'm scared of tornadoes..)
I'm Heather. I'm 27 years old and I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I love glaciers!
xxtinklovesuxx

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 02:48 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Yeah that's probably the reason, because tornadoes won't go over water. They just die out. I had to look it up when I moved her because it amazed me how it's 18 miles from Kansas and hadn't seen a tornado in so long. Thats the only reason that I could find that it was.
Kirk K & Sasha J
The beginning; 1/1/17

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy-tale.

R.I.P Baby Brother
Timothy Gibson
12/18/1991 - 10/26/2016
shiny-italy

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 02:55 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Actually tornadoes can go over water..it's called a waterspout when that happens. Maybe the airflow is different over lakes and makes it harder for them to develop *shrugs*
I'm Heather. I'm 27 years old and I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I love glaciers!
xxtinklovesuxx

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 03:00 AM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Probably. Lakes have a different airflow then rivers so that's probably what it is.
Kirk K & Sasha J
The beginning; 1/1/17

R.I.P Baby Brother
Timothy Gibson
12/18/1991 - 10/26/2016
daniellexx5xx

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 13 Apr 2009 04:14 PM         Subject: RE: Bad Weather
Oh my gosh.
I heard about that Kayla.
That's awful.
I'm glad you're okay though.
:]