Topic: Retract-A-Gate!
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Retract-A-Gate!  
andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 14 Nov 2008 11:01 PM       Subject: Retract-A-Gate!
I'm very excited because even though I don't really have the money to spend on it right now, I bought a Retract-A-Gate that arrives on Monday!

Shortly after getting Rudy (my first cat) I started keeping the door to my bedroom closed all the time, especially when I slept. I don't really like doing this because it's really hard to hear someone knocking on the door at my house.. More so when the bedroom door is closed and I'm sleeping.

And lately I've started keeping the bathroom door closed all the time too because he likes to get in the cabinet under the sink where all my bathroom cleaners are.. And my cats sometimes like to destroy entire toilet paper rolls. But keeping the door closed all the time is leading to moisture and mold problems because of the shower.

ENTER RETRACT-A-GATE! Haha, we'll see if it works. I was originally just going to install it at my bedroom door but now I think I'm going to install it in the middle of the hallway. yayayyy.

I'll keep you posted on if it actually works with cats or not.

Abby (the orange one) is much bigger now though.

I am the very fancy owner and creator of Bzoink! Thank you for using it.
Feel free to private message me and add me as your friend.

Message Me | Journal | Profile | Add Me
lepixiesan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 15 Nov 2008 07:44 AM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
Aw, they're too cute! We have three Retract-A-Gates for our five dogs and they work wonderfully.

I wish I wasn't allergic to cats...I love them to death.
These walls are strange...

My name is Wendy.
-egocentricity-

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 15 Nov 2008 09:51 AM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
My cats are climbers. I think they'd be stumped/stopped by a retract-a-gate for a moment, but they're determined - they'd make short work of finding a way over it. xD
Hopefully, it will work out for you!

Btw - your cats are adorable!
[ it's an " e g o thing. " ]
andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 15 Nov 2008 02:44 PM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
Are they REAL Retract-A-Gates?

haha. Most baby gates are kind of thick and give cats a ledge to jump up to, and then over. Supposedly since there's no real ledge for them to jump on, they won't try to jump over and over.

Rudy is a definite climber, I've been amazes at how far he gets up my door frames (and destroys them).. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it works.

andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 17 Nov 2008 01:28 PM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
I got it installed! It has my cats confused right now. And they can see me in a room on the other side of it so they're starting to whine a little bit.

I'm not sure if it's going to work.. But only because of my installation. One side of the gate is drilled into drywall, no wood stud.. So if they abuse it too much, or me simply opening and closing it all the time.. I think it'll probably pull out of the drywall pretty soon.

andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 17 Nov 2008 02:42 PM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Abby already figured it out. She gets a sound of pure desperation to come see me in her meow and a desperate look in her eyes and she jumps up to the top portion, hangs there frantically for a second, and then managed to get in the right position against the wall to jump over it.

Pretty disappointing.. But I think me chasing her around trying to catch her after she got over and then her realizing she can't get back over the gate that fast might discourage her from trying again.

However, the gate still helps. They can't just casually walk to areas I don't want them in anymore. They really have to work at it every time.

jessa

Unstoppable Bzoinker
Profile | Journal
Posted: 17 Nov 2008 02:50 PM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
Aw, sorry. Abby is a rockstar. She can foil anything.
I'm the tallest one here.
andy

Wannabe Rockstar
Forum Moderator
Profile | Journal
Posted: 17 Nov 2008 02:57 PM         Subject: RE: Retract-A-Gate!
I think it was a fluke and she just got lucky, actually. I had seen her make the same attempt several times, but usually it'd be towards the middle of the gate. Her trying it closer to the wall where she could gain some body stability is what did it for her.

Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: 1